To make your upcoming procedure as smooth as possible, the following items must be adhered to:
- Get a good night’s rest before your appointment.
- Do not eat or drink anything 8 hours prior to your appointment (this includes water, gum, hard candy, etc.).
- Do not drink any alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to your surgery day! Doing so will result in the cancellation of your surgery.
- After general anesthesia or IV sedation, you cannot drive; therefore, be sure that an adult family member or friend escorts you home. The person escorting you to the appointment must stay in the office during the entire procedure. This also means the driver if it is not the same person.
- Wear a short-sleeved shirt/blouse so your blood pressure may be monitored.
- If fingernails are long, they must be trimmed short and all fingernail polish removed.
- No ponytails or hairpins.
- Do not wear sandals or flip-flops.
- No contact lenses.
- No tongue rings.
- Asthmatics must bring all inhalers.
A female who may be pregnant and undergoing general anesthesia or IV sedation can run significant health risks for her fetus. The morning of your procedure, you will be required to sign a release form stating that you are not pregnant. If there is a possibility that you may be pregnant, it is recommended that you perform a pregnancy test the morning you are scheduled for anesthesia or IV sedation. If you find that you are pregnant, please call our office.